Total Pageviews

Sunday 15 February 2015

ἀγάπη


In the Church of England as it was, today is Quinquagesima Sunday, the last Sunday before Lent, and the Epistle is one everyone knows: 1 Corinthians 13. Everyone knows it; but as I reread it, I was struck all over again by the sheer power of the Authorized Version. I checked my Jerusalem Bible, often the best of the modern translations, but found it flabby and vulgar. So I thought I would put up the 1611 version in all its glory, so that we can all learn from it, reading it aloud: here, for once, the beauty of holiness and the holiness of beauty do not contradict one another.

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. 
And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

Charity suffereth long, and is kind; 
charity envieth not; 
charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,  doth not behave itself unseemly, 
seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;  
rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; 
beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. 
For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: 
now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. 
And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Here is Cranmer's Collect that goes with it:

O Lord, who hast taught us that all our doings without charity are nothing worth; Send thy Holy Ghost, and pour into our hearts that most excellent gift of charity, the very bond of peace and of all virtues, without which whosoever liveth is counted dead before thee; Grant this for thine only Son Jesus Christ's sake. Amen. 

And just in case that word "charity" for agapè still bothers us, here is the finest exposition of it I know:

Love bade me welcome: yet my soul drew back,
                   Guiltie of dust and sinne.
But quick-ey’d Love, observing me grow slack
                   From my first entrance in,
Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning,
                   If I lack’d any thing.

A guest, I answer’d, worthy to be here:
                   Love said, You shall be he.
I the unkinde, ungratefull?  Ah my deare,
                   I cannot look on thee.
Love took my hand, and smiling did reply,
                   Who made the eyes but I?

Truth Lord, but I have marr’d them: let my shame
                   Go where it doth deserve.
And know you not, sayes Love, who bore the blame?
                   My deare, then I will serve.
You must sit down, sayes Love, and taste my meat:
                   So I did sit and eat.* 

Whatever we each do about Lent and its usages, these three passages are as good a preparation for it as I can imagine.



*George Herbert, "Love (III)" from The Temple.

1 comment:

  1. Once more I wrote a comment that disappeared into the vacuum. Sigh. I had been trying to say that, yes, this poem by Herbert moves me every time. It seems to be about Communion, although I know some disagree. Someday, Hrothgar, say more on the competing translation "Faith, Hope, and Love"? I do prefer the 1611--the greatest prose in our language.

    ReplyDelete