Total Pageviews

Wednesday 18 March 2015

TWO FOR TODAY


Today, two verses from the Psalms. A good Lenten exercise, I find, is reading the Psalms daily, as they are divided in the Book of Common Prayer, morning and evening. And Coverdale's translation, though sometimes inaccurate, is incomparable in resonance and beauty. So here are two quotations from this morning's Psalms:

And the glorious Majesty of the Lord our God be upon us : prosper thou the work of our hands upon us, O prosper thou our handy-work. (90:17)

And our handy-work may be the grading of mid-term examinations, the concluding of business contracts, or the spring-cleaning of teenagers' bedrooms. All of which, as George Herbert knew, may be prospered by the presence of God's glorious Majesty, and made finer by dedicating it to Him.

Whoso dwelleth under the defence of the most High : shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say unto the Lord, Thou art my hope, and my strong hold : my God, in him will I trust. (91:1-2)

After all, we have no other strong hold, or stronghold. Much as we recite the old Marine's version of Psalm 23 ("Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil : for I am the meanest son of a bitch in the valley"), we know, as the Marines did, that that is just a charm to recite; and although the very Bible-nourished General Orde Wingate called his parachuted bases behind Japanese lines in Burma "strongholds", we know that there are no strong holds for us poor, bare, forked creatures but the shadow of the Almighty, and the defence of the most High.

For thou, Lord, hast made me glad through thy works : and I will rejoice in giving praise for the operations of thy hands. (92:4)



                                                          George Herbert                                                     Orde Wingate



No comments:

Post a Comment