Total Pageviews

Friday 10 March 2017

JOYS OF LENT




I used to think it a painful paradox that gloomy old Lent happened just as the almond trees came into bloom, followed by the forsythias, the daffodils, the plum tree, the daisies, the buttercups and all the whole décor of spring. Just as we were all getting over winter and feeling sort of festive, we were told to repent, spiritually at least to put on sackcloth and ashes, to abstain from anything pleasurable or tasty, for forty bloody long days until Easter. One put up with it, one did one’s best, but it was hard to go along with it with any real enthusiasm.

To my surprise, this year is different. Perhaps because of a change of tone in the Church’s teachings on the subject, perhaps because I’ve gone more deeply into the spiritual aspects of it, and perhaps also because I’ve decided to do for, and in, Lent what I would previously have done separately: take care of Brother Ass, as St Francis called our bothersome physical body, at the same time as increasing reading and prayer. As our local priest put it, a thorough spring cleaning.

And to my surprise, as I said, it has so far made for a different Lent. I feel in no way out of tune with Nature; doing (or omitting) some of the things one should have seen to ages ago is cheering; as every old-fashioned housewife knew and knows, spring cleaning is not only useful, it gives a lift to the spirit. I don’t think I’m up to serious fasting, but doing without alcohol and meat is, for an old whisky-dramming carnivore, a real change of speed. It turns out not be particularly hard, and has some pleasant if in no way spiritual side-effects.

I write this here because it may help someone who still thinks of Lent as a gloomy guilt-trip. I do have to remind myself daily of the Cross, and to make some kind of act of contrition, but that fits in perfectly because it was always already there and makes sense. Meanwhile, I glory in the spring around me, in the Southern French countryside where it is the most perfect season of the year; I give thanks for so much beauty, and I praise God for suggesting a spring cleaning to put me into better harmony with His creation.